Monday, 11 June 2012

Booteeq Interview


I'm posting just a part of the interview I did with my Booteeq friends:

There’s always a sense of a message in your work. Is that something you do on purpose, or it just happens in the process of making?

As a youngster, I loved drawing without thinking too much about the meaning behind my work. But as years went by, storytelling came naturally to me, so if I don’t have something to say, even if it’s just a joke, then I don’t feel like drawing to much.

Sometimes you draw people, sometimes animals – but sometimes robots as well. I noticed you like using robots to send a deeper messages – messages of misunderstanding and confusion. Is that because you think people are basically clueless? Or that machinery is as erronous as people, because they’re made by people – like there’s no escape from the realities that be – that there’s just no perfect answer, there is no secure or error free choice.

There is an animal in every human being, but there’s also a potential robot as well. We’re just like all animals, doing what our genes tell us to do, but sometimes we end up denying our animal heritage. I don’t think that man is a rational animal. I think that we are biologically and psychologically programmed to rationalize everything. We are rationalizing animals denying nature itself – that is our most dangerous error. Sometimes I draw and paint robots because I believe that the only thing that separates us from real robots, are our ‘personal errors’, and the only thing that separates us from animals is our attempt to be more like robots and less like what we truly are… just humans.

Fish – and weird transmorphed fishlike creature seem to adorn your work a lot. What’s the fascination with the fish all about?

Sometimes, in symbolism, the ocean is reffered to as being a tear of God or the sorrow, a place where you live your bad memories and sadness. Therefore, fish is a character telling some of the stories from the ocean witch contains all the mysteriousness of the unknown.

Most of your work has characters being.. let’s say… kind of at peace with their fate – usually I have a sense of an overwhelming shade of sadness being felt – sadness and being calm. Is there a reason for that? There is no – at least not visible – hysteria or kinetic activity involved with your characters. Looks like they’re posing and you’re taking a picture – usually looking back at you right in the eyes. Why is that eye contact important for your work and your characters?

My characters are illustrated metaphors gesturing abstract concepts, and the reason why I’m giving so much attention to the eyes is because the look of the eye is the greatest connection for expressing emotions – sadness, happiness, anger, fear.



For the full itnerview, click BOOTEEQ



No comments:

Post a Comment